Friday, September 27, 2013

Walking Adventure: Go Speed Racer!

So I still live in a dinky apartment, despite getting married. It's a fairly good location. Behind us is a laundry mat, a Domino's Pizza, and a Panera Bread, which is great for lunches.

Our little corner of the world.
If you were to look around the immediate area, our neighborhood doesn't look like much. You'd find an assload of apartment complexes, some rundown houses split into apartments, etc. It's obviously a section that's geared towards student housing. 

However, not even two blocks away from where we are, you'll find the prettiest most, well kept upper-middle class homes in Springfield. 

I swear I saw this house on the Disney Channel once...

I have to admit, despite the racist classist issues these kind of neighborhoods represent, I just love walking around them. At first, I walked around because I like the aesthetics, because we're talking about people who have enough time to garden.

Although some have rather interesting tastes.
Or they forgot they live in Missouri.
Whichever.

But after you've walked the wide quiet streets, you begin to notice tiny things that you would usually ignore. Like the fact that Speed Racer lives a couple blocks from me.

Does that mean I get to see Chim Chim?
Or that some people are so invested into color coordination, they match their mums to their porch.


Or that some people consider their cars to be fashion statements.


Or that you can't believe it's pumpkin season already.


Although they're gonna have a hard time keeping those pumpkins with this little guy skulking around.


I guess despite what these neighborhoods represent politically, they still deviate somewhat and express their personalities in little ways.  And if you're willing to look for them, it makes the walk worthwhile. 


Flower.






No comments:

Post a Comment